11.05.2010

Recapturing Beauty Day 10: Now What?

Day 10:
Reflect in your journal about where the 10 day challenge has taken you, and where you want to go from here. What can you continue to do to improve your body image?

WHY: Body acceptance is a lifelong process. Some days, we will do better than others. Every day, we have to wake up and make a decision to love and accept ourselves, inside and out. As you continue to be mindful of this journey, you will find more and more freedom from comparing, negative self-talk, and more lasting self confidence, based on the things that really matter: your relationships, your personality, your talents, and your relationship with God.

Wow, I think this challenge was amazing. Seriously, every girl in the world needs to do this challenge. :) This challenge has helped me realize the different things my body can do and helped me to more realize it's importance. And it's improved my image of me. I truly do feel like I've recaptured my beauty.. It's true that body acceptance is a lifelong process. It's definitely something I struggle with and may always struggle with. I'm a girl and it can be so hard to love my body and appreciate it the way it is. But I know I'm improving every single day, even if it's just a little bit. Deep down, I know how important my body is. It helps me walk, dance, and run. It takes care of and fixes itself when it gets sick or injured. And someday, I'll be able to carry children in this body, I hope. That's the most amazing thing of all. Knowing that makes me want to make sure I take care of my body. Because if I can't take care of my own body, there's now way it will let me take care of another one too.

It's so sad how much body image affects so many people in this world. It's estimated that about 8 million Americans struggle with eating disorders...7 million women and 1 million men. 1 in every 100 girls have anorexia and 2-3 in every 100 girls have bulimia. And those are just the stats on eating disorders...think of how many girls just struggle with body image in general every single day. Wow.

One of my role models and favorite singers, Demi Lovato (she's in both Camp Rock movies and has a role in the Disney Channel series "Sonny With a Chance"), recently checked into rehab for "emotional and physical issues" which have now been verified as an eating disorder and cutting problems.

I feel for Demi SO much. She had to cancel her international tour with the Jonas brothers to do this. How hard would that be? Obviously, I don't personally know her, but she seems like such a happy person, she's gorgeous, and she is super talented. She's one of the few celebrities that come from Disney that really has what it takes to become a star. And as hard as it may be to be struggling with what she is right now, I completely commend her. I think it's amazing that she realized she had a problem and decided to do something about it. If she was my role model before, she's my hero now, for doing what she needs to do to get better even if it means making huge sacrifices. So thank you so much, Demi :)

Body image issues are taking over the world. But at the same time, pro-body image stuff is counteracting it. There are so many organizations and people everywhere trying to make a difference. Dove does a Campaign for Real Beauty where they have some great videos to watch and things for you to do to make a difference. The National Eating Disorders Association has so many events going on to make people aware of eating disorders and give people more information about them. Seventeen magazine has a Body Peace Treaty you can sign to show your support and involvement in loving your body. This Recapturing Beauty campaign helped students across BYU campus to become aware of the body image problems and to do something about it. Demi Lovato became a role model for millions of American girls when she realized she had a problem and decided to do something about it by going into treatment and getting help. By doing this, she helped girls realize that stuff like this does happen in the world and that it's okay to get help. And every day, individuals are making a difference. Stand up and don't do "fat talk" with your friends and get them to stop. When you get a negative comment about your body in your head, replace it with a positive one right away. Participate in these campaigns and spread the word. If anything...DON'T GIVE IN. Every day, I will try a little harder to work on my body image. It's definitely something I can work on. And if all of us work on it a little bit, one day at a time, the world will be a better place each and every day.

I'm Kiki. I love fashion, dancing, Carrie Underwood, the color purple, and reading like crazy. I'm not perfect. My nose is big, I'm short, and I can't cook to save my life. But I know one thing, and that's the fact that...

I AM BEAUTIFUL!



“Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven.”
-Matthew 5:14,16

2 comments:

  1. You are beautiful! Good job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful!! I loved the ending!

    ReplyDelete

This is me begging for comments because I LOVE them! Let's be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...