4.26.2011

She Only Looks at Books

I've given myself a goal to blog every day on both of my blogs. Since I don't have school this summer, it should be possible. I really just love to write and I need a way to get out all of my thoughts, as I have many.

I'm currently re-falling in love with one of my hobbies....reading. It never ever gets old. I'm about to start reading the Harry Potter series for the 11th time before the last movie comes out (sob! it will all be over in july!). I read a book in a day yesterday--I love doing that! It feels like forever since I've done that, just because I haven't had time. It's called Dreamland, by Sarah Dessen, a young adult book about a girl who gets in an abusive relationship. Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors and I'd highly recommend it. :) My next book to read is To Kill a Mockingbird, one of my all time favorite books! I actually haven't read it since sophomore year of high school so I need to read it again to refresh my memory and to give my mind something happy (not that my life isn't happy right now and not that To Kill a Mockingbird is necessarily a happy book).

I think summertime is one of my favorite times of the year partially because it gives me an opportunity to read again. I hardly ever read what I want during the school year because I don't have time, and it kills me. Last summer I had a goal to read 100 books, but I only read 60 (still a lot, I guess) and it was magical. There's something about books that just get to me and pull me in. I love reading about other fake people's lives--lives that I feel like I'm living and that feel real and are about real people with real struggles. It's amazing. One of my goals in life is to write a book. Even if it's not published, I want to write a book someday. Also, reading is one of those things that has been with me the longest. I think the earlier you start something in life, the closer it is to your heart. I danced for 15 years and so even though I'm not dancing anymore, I will always be attached to it and it will always be close to me. Same with piano. And I think this is the same way with friends. It's so cool and nice to have friends that you've known since you were 3 years old--friends that know everything about you and have grown up with you, and even if you aren't as close now, there is something about being close in childhood that can't make you ever completely separate. I have best friends now, but there is a difference between them and my childhood friends. And I love fashion and sewing and stuff, but I've had reading, dance, and piano since I was little.

Anyways, back from that long tangent, I learned how to read at the young age of 4 and picked it up pretty quick after that. While the other kids in kindergarten were learning letters and how to sound them out, I was going to the first grade reading group. Reading was probably the reason I skipped first grade, because it put me way ahead all the other kids. I was always in the highest reading group in school and at home I was always reading a book. I'd go to the library and come home with a stack of 20 books and have them all read in about a week or two. My mom would punish me by taking away my books so that I'd have to do my chores. I'd stay up late in the night so that I could finish a book because I just couldn't put it down. We'd go out and go to restaurants and I'd always have a book in hand and always be reading. By 7th grade I was reading at a college level. Haha I was kind of a nerd...even had the glasses to prove it. ;)
Me at around age 10, with my sisters Sidney and Carina (l to r)
I think my love and history with reading is why I first started as an English major. It seemed like it was just for me. And maybe in a way it was, but being an English major forced me to read and I didn't read for fun anymore which destroyed the whole purpose. All we seemed to do was analyze literature and poetry (gah, I do not understand many poems and they make my mind turn to mush) and I didn't like it. I wanted to be an editor, and honestly, I still do. But I don't think I'm supposed to be an editor. I also don't think I'm supposed to do something in fashion. I'm in the Family Studies major and a lot of people ask me what I'm going to do with it, and I joke and I say I'm going to be a mom. And while that's true, I really don't know what I'm going to do with my major. All I know is that I want to help people and I want to make a difference in the world. My patriarchal blessing talks a lot about me helping others and I just feel like that's right. I think if I keep moving forward in life, other things will fall into place.

But anyways, now that I'm done being an English major, I'm back to reading for fun, and it's great. I can read what I want and in whatever amount of time I want (usually in a day or two). I have a lot of favorite books and a lot of them are young adult books, because let's face it, I'm only 19 and still a young adult. I am beginning to try to read more of the adult fiction but I find the young adult stuff more interesting still, because even if I'm not in high school, I'm still dealing with all the hard stuff that teenagers face. I'm not married and I don't really want to read about marriage and divorce and that stuff. It seems to old for me right now ha. But here are some of my favorite books that I could read over and over again (the two books mentioned earlier would also be on this list):
Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson

Enders Game, by Orson Scott Card

Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling

My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Piccoult


Wintergirls, by Laurie Halse Anderson

The Last Song, by Nicholas Sparks

Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli

The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas

A Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Good Enough, by Paula Yoo

My Mother the Cheerleader, by Robert Sharenow

In high school, Harperteen used to have this program where you could sign up to get advanced readers copies of a lot of their books. It was great! They'd send me free books and then I'd just write a short review of it online. It was a great way to read a lot of the new literature coming out and a lot of those books were really good and are now some of my favorites. They stopped doing the program though, which totally stinks. :( I need to find another program like that again so I can get more books and read more!

Something fun I bought is a reading journal, filled with pages of me to write down the books I've read and notes about them. The best part though, are all the lists of all the Pulitzer books, Newberry award winners, etc. There's tons of lists and a little box for you to check off when you've read it. My goal in life is to read every single one of those books in that journal. I'm totally gonna do it! I'm excited because it will give me ideas of what to read if I don't know.

What are your favorite books?
What's something that you have loved ever since you were a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is me begging for comments because I LOVE them! Let's be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...