3.15.2012

Why I Love My Job

I think one of the best things of my experience here at BYU has been working in the bookstore. I think for many reasons. The funny thing is, I didn't love my job there when I started as much as I love and appreciate it now...

I came to BYU as a young freshman girl and in obvious need of a job. I applied for the job at the bookstore and I also applied for another job on campus just cleaning tables and stuff in the Cougareat. I was offered the Cougareat job the same day as the interview, but I obviously wanted the bookstore job more, so I waited to find out about it. Funny enough, I'd actually applied for two different shifts in the bookstore, and when I called to find out about the job status, I think they only looked at one shift and told me I didn't get it. So naturally I called the other people and told them I wanted the job. Then, the first day my parents dropped me off, I was already feeling a little homesick and scared of being on my own. My friend Brooke was there and I went with her and her parents to get some groceries for her. Unexpectedly, I received a call from who else, but the Human Resources department at the bookstore letting me know I got the job! I was seriously so ecstatic and it was one of the first things that really made me excited to be at BYU.

Since then, I've gone from being the "baby" of the department to the one who's been there the longest (2 years and 8 months!). There have been a lot of changes in the store, from moving around departments and getting a new boss. But I have learned and grown so much through my job there as well. It's been the most constant thing that I've had since I started my schooling here and it's a great way to measure how much I have grown.

Through my job at the bookstore, I've become a lot more outgoing. It's interesting, because when I started working there, I was shy and didn't talk much to any of the other employees and didn't really put myself out there to customers. Mostly I kept to myself by folding clothes and keeping quiet. Even when the store was dead, I still wouldn't really go talk to any of the cashiers or anything. I just felt awkward and shy. I'm so different now, and I'm not saying it's been my job that has changed me, but it's a great way to see how I've changed. I greet pretty much every customer in my department, not really scared of what they will think of me or not anxious to talk to someone I don't know. When the store is dead, I find myself always talking to the other employees, and actually laughing and having fun with them. I'm so much bolder and more confident than before.

I've learned a lot of new skills that I didn't really know I had. Like I said, when I started, all I'd really do was fold and clean and do the basic things that anyone can really do. Now, I find myself always making wall displays (and enjoying it), doing really cool chalk signs, and taking initiative on different things around the department. Isn't that so cool?! I feel like I've gotten so many opportunities with this job and been able to find a lot of skills that I didn't realize I had. Isn't that interesting...it makes me wonder if this could happen with any job, if we just work hard, we might find things in ourselves that we didn't know we had.
One of the chalk signs I've done.

Probably my favorite part about working at the bookstore has been all the friends I've made and the people I've met. Some of my very best friends are bookstore employees. I feel like it's one of the places where I'm totally myself and where the people who know me there, truly know ME and who I am. I don know, whenever I go to work, I'm always happy because I'm around great people. Seriously, bookstore employees are awesome! Probably some of my favorite people in the world. I feel so blessed to be able to have so many friends that I love so much from a place that I love so much! It's just really great.
This picture wasn't taken at work, but these are two of my work friends, Jodie and Kirsten, who I love and wouldn't be as
close with if it weren't for working in the same place!

For me, the bookstore has become so much more to me than a job. It's a place where I can do things that I love and a place where I can laugh and be happy with people I love. I'm really grateful for it, and I think the biggest lesson that I've learned from this is the fact that it may take some time (I've worked here for almost three years) but everything deserves a chance. Give yourself a chance to warm up to an environment, because even if you're not the best in it or don't have a lot of friends there, things can change. Who knows, you might find something in yourself you didn't even know existed!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! The bookstore has seriously done so much for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!
    Followed. And maybe you'll stop by me someday.

    thebookness.com

    ReplyDelete

This is me begging for comments because I LOVE them! Let's be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...