4.19.2013

What Gets Me Out of Bed Every Day

So there is this very inspiring girl, Josie Thompson, who writes a blog over here. She's struggled immensely with bipolar and depression and if you want to read an inspirational story, you should definitely check it out. Josie's working on something called Project 444. It's to help herself and to help others. She packed up a few belongings and is roadtripping it up in her truck going from state to state, meeting people and asking them one simple question.."What gets you out of bed every day?" And she's not going home until she has 444 answers. You can read more about that here, and you should definitely go check out her blog and give her all the support you can. I don't know her personally, but I think she is doing a great thing and wish her the absolute best in it.

Reading Josie's blog, hearing that question, and seeing videos of answers people have given her got me thinking. What gets me out of bed every morning?

You'd think it'd be a pretty easy question to answer, but I thought about it for a while. The obvious answers came to my head first...my family, my closest friends, my love for fashion, my dream to meet Carrie Underwood in person one day (ha), etc... But as I thought about it more, I realized that it's all the little things that make up life that get me out of bed every day.

Every morning, I wake up and I have a choice. I can sleep in longer, I can skip work, and I can lie there not caring and not doing anything. There are so many days when that's all I want to do, just letting life pass by without me participating in it.

But every day, I make the latter choice. I get up out of bed for a job that I really like at a place where I enjoy getting to know my co-workers and the customers around me. I get up because I get to pick a cute new outfit from my closet or I get to lounge around in my favorite Carrie Underwood or Friends (the tv show) t-shirt. I get up because I love doing my makeup every morning. I love that every day, I look at my face, and I'm somehow still not bored with it; in fact, I still think I look pretty when I smile at myself in the mirror or put on makeup in the morning. I've done it hundreds of times and yet I still love it and I still love me.

I get up because I never know if that day might be the day I think of the next great fashion design, the day I laugh so hard I cry for fifteen minutes straight, or the day I might finally meet someone who I'll fall in love with (and more significantly, someone who will fall in love with me too). I get up because I might cross a bucket list item off with my roommates or have a crazy disaster that we'll laugh about later on for years to come. I get up in the morning because there might be someone I need to help that day, or maybe there's someone in the world who needs to help me.

I get up for all the little miracles I notice that God gives me in my life....someone bringing breakfast to work when I was running too late to bring some, finding a dollar bill on the ground, a little girl telling me she thinks I'm pretty and my heart feeling all tingly inside because it's been a long time since anyone has told me that, making it through a stop light right before it goes red, a text from my mom that makes me happy no matter what it's about because I miss her and my family, bonding with a coworker at my job, or even just meeting eyes with a really cute guy.

I don't know, I guess I just get up for life. Because life is so darn wonderful. It sucks too, don't get me wrong. We all know that I've been through so much damage in my life, and I'm sure you have too. But there are so many things every day that make life really great. And the next morning when I'm struggling to want to get out of bed, I think about the day before and some of the really nice little things that happened. Then I close my eyes for five more seconds, take a deep breath, and get up and flip my feet over the edge of my bed, ready to start a new day.

3 comments:

  1. Awhhh!! You are amazing. Your zeal, passion, drive and everything in between is inspiring. Thank you for being you!!

    Love,
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute blog and i love the logo... Check it out and follow! http://teenagehellz.blogspot.com xx gabi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, go and get it!;O) Thanks for posting and feel free to drop by me too soon

    ReplyDelete

This is me begging for comments because I LOVE them! Let's be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...