3.30.2013

Outfit Blogging at It's Finest

I seriously wonder when this craze of "fashion blogging" began (don't worry, I can make fun of it since I used to be a daily "fashion blogger"--if you could call me that, because many of my outfits were less than fashionable haha). Who was the first person who said, "I'm going to take a picture of my outfit every day and then post it on a website for the world to see."? I suppose at first it sounded like a cool idea, and it was. What a cool way to document your day by taking pictures of your outfits! Yes!

I think the monstrosity began when everybody saw how cool these few fashion bloggers were and thought, "hey, I can do that too!" and then half of the women in the US decided they all should do it too. And now it seems like everyone fashion blogs. And that's cool and all, but I suppose it's a little boring to me now.
"model pose"=please never let my arm do that again. It looks much better on my waist or at my side.
 Now I kind of skip over the outfit posts in my google reader and only click on the ones that have substance--stuff that life is really about. Not that life isn't about mustache jewelry and buns atop our heads, but you know. I would hope it's about a little more than just that.

In truth, fashion blogging kind of messed me up and probably did the same thing to society. We all now seem to follow the same trends because they are so readily accessible to us from any blog out there, with just a click on a link. We can't seem to wear a cute outfit one day and just not take a picture of it (soooo guilty of this one. Every time I'm dressed cute I feel like I have to get a picture of it. And not just a crappy phone picture, but pictures like these).
Don't you be chastising me for writing against fashion blogging when you are fashion blogging. Eh.
 I do it too. I mean, c'mon, what is this post? What are these pictures adorning the walls of my blog? I don't think that it's a bad thing to take pictures of our outfits and post them on the internet for everyone to see. But I do think that we should try to be more aware of what is going on around us and realize that we have more to provide to the world than just a smile and a cute outfit.

Just something to think about. But then again, what do I know? This is after all an outfit post. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I love LOVE this post! (I know its over a year old but I just found it) And I couldn't agree more! Especially this sentence, "realize that we have more to provide to the world than just a smile and a cute outfit." . . Don't get me wrong, I like fashion blogs, and I have even published a couple outfit posts on my own blog. But more than fashion, I love reading about things that really matter in life. . .
    I admire the fact that you can share your great sense of fashion, without being completely consumed by it.
    You're awesome. :)

    -Candace
    http://simplyluckylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks so much Candace, that was such a nice comment! I really appreciate it. :) Also thanks for commenting on this post because it made me read it again and was a good reminder!

      Delete

This is me begging for comments because I LOVE them! Let's be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...