6.07.2012

Glasses

Have you ever seen the movie You Again? If you haven't, it is hilarious so go get it from Redbox or a movie store. The movie is about Marni Olsen, who in her high school years had an acny filled face, glasses, ugly hair, and was teased by the head cheerleader. Basically as sad and nerdy as you can get. But Marni gets out of high school and ends up changing how she looks and becomes the vice-pres of a PR company (don't worry, I'm not really giving anything awaythis all happens in the beginning of the movie). She goes home for her brother's wedding, where he is of course marrying the evil head cheerleader. And in the course of about one day, one way or another things keep happening to Marni and she looks exactly like she did in highschool. See below:


So think of that image and then listen to this. Me yesterday...I was going to a face painting job with my aunt that we had to leave at about 9:15 for and I woke up late at 8:30 and still had to take a shower. I was rushing, and of course my eye got really irritated and since my contacts were old I just switched it and it still really hurt. But we had to leave so we did. My hair was just in a ponytail. We got back and my eye was hurting so bad and I had a headache from that, so I had to take out my contacts and put on my glasses (and they're not too cute) and also take off my makeup. No improvement on the eye pain. My hair was gross because I hadn't done anything with it after showering so it had a little kink in it and was kinda frizzy. Plus my eye was super puffy and red. I was quite a sight, and then I went to Target with my aunt last night to shop.


That's not how I usually look and I really could have let it get me down. But I decided I could go in that store feeling just as confident as I feel with my cutest outfit and best makeup face, and that's what I did. I didn't let it bother me (a ton...my eye hurting was kind of unavoidable).


So basically what I'm trying to say is that no matter how we look, we are still the same person. I may have looked like the biggest geek yesterday, but I still shopped for the same clothes I would have with a pretty face and I still said the same things I would have with the prettiest hairdo in the world. I think that one of the most freeing things in the world is realizing that what we look like doesn't define us or make us who we are. I do believe that it's a great way to express ourselves and it's fun to look nice, but for the most part, it's not going to change us.


It's kind of great to think that, huh? The only thing that's really limiting us is our own judgments of ourselves. And if those judgments don't come from what we look like, that's pretty sweet.


P.S. My eye feels fine again, thank goodness! I have no idea what was wrong with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is me begging for comments because I LOVE them! Let's be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...