12.08.2011

Life, the Future, and Other Adult-ish Things :)


I guess I’m posting today! These pictures were actually taken back in October and upon finding them today I thought, why not do a post? I haven’t been wearing anything super cute for the past week or so—it’s been sweaters and t-shirts for me! Not to mention unwashed hair and less makeup on my face. :P Eh, but enough about that!

I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do in life after I graduate. People are always asking, “So what are you going to do once you finish school?” And my answer is “Umm…I don’t really know. Ha ha… but maybe something with fashion because I’m super interested in that? We’ll see.” Watch, just ask me and this is the answer I’ll tell you. People ask college students this type of question ALL the time! It’s kind of annoying but we all do it. I mean, it’s a legitimate question. The thing is, one of the reasons I don’t have any plans for my future is because it’s almost always impossible to make plans. Life is always changing, and we are always changing. There’s so much out there? I don’t want to decide one thing I want to do in my life after I graduate and then realize later that I missed out on so much!

Here’s the other thing. At BYU, marriage is a huge thing. Yep. There’s almost this stigma here that if you graduate and you’re not married, welp, then you better either serve a mission, go to grad school, or find a job in Provo so that you can get married. If you don’t do any of those things, then you’re a failure because you’re not married. Ridiculous. Maybe my description of that is a little extreme, but for the most part it’s very accurate and realistic. I’m not dissing marriage, not at all! I want to get married and I can’t wait to meet the guy and spend the rest of my eternity with the one of love (I know it’s not as easy as that but you get the point). I just don’t know when it’s going to happen and I don’t want to wait around for it. For so long, I’ve just really hoped that I’d get married before I graduated because otherwise I just wouldn’t know what to do with my life.

But now I realize how completely and utterly wrong that is. Marriage is such an adventure in and of itself and I’m so excited to live that adventure when it comes. But until that time, there are so many other adventures to do! I can do anything! Life has so many possibilities and I don’t want to let them pass up.

So what am I going to do? Well what I’m definitely going to stop doing is waiting around to get married. I’m going to stop going to places thinking, “Oh maybe my eternal companion will be here!” I’m going to live my life, because marriage will happen when it’s going to happen and I’m not going to sit around and wait for it. So what am I going to do with my life? What am I going to do after I graduate?

Well, this summer I don’t want to stay in Utah. I’m going to find a lot of fashion internships and apply to them all. I’m also going to look into nanny jobs because I adore kids and would love to nanny if an internship doesn’t work out. If neither of those work out then I may go live with some relatives in Boston and experience a life in the eastern US.

And after I graduate? The opportunities are endless. I want to join the Americorps for a year. Maybe I’ll work for an airline so that I can fly places for free. Maybe I’ll go find another fashion internship or nanny. I don’t completely know. And guess what? That’s really okay. I don’t have to know everything, I just have to keep going on the right path. Oh yeah, and along the way if I get married…well, that would be pretty okay too. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is me begging for comments because I LOVE them! Let's be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...